Adult Day Program Instructor
This paid internship requires minimum 9-month commitment.
Start date is flexible.
Schedule is Mon-Fri 8:30am-3:00pm.
AbilityPath has Adult Day Programs located in Burlingame and Daly City. These programs are site-based and offer participants a variety of curricula in employment readiness, social skills, educational enrichment, recreational activities, personal health and safety, and community engagement. Under supervision of the Learning Campus Manager, Instructors develop and implement engaging curriculum that is focused on the interests and goals of our clients.
A passion for teaching, coaching and mentoring is required. Commitment to AbilityPath’s mission to empower people with special needs to achieve their full potential is required.
Primary job responsibilities:
- Direct care and supervision of adult Participants enrolled in services at our Learning Campus
- Enrich class and participants educational programs to meet their individual needs, goals and interests using agency and community resources
- Drive agency vehicles as needed (transporting participants for community engagement, events, etc.)
- Use clinical insights, educational motivational techniques and commitment to excellence to promote growth in the classroom
- Maintain appropriate records including participant goals, attendance records, teacher files, lesson plans consistent with classroom goals and objectives
- Additional as described in official Job Description
- You have “mentoring” mentality; a passion for teaching, coaching, and training
- Experience with adults with disabilities is not required – we will train you!
- Ability to manage challenging behaviors – we provide training on this, too!
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Strong customer service skills
- Strong computer skills, ability to check email daily, use an iPad and use a smart phone
Pre-employment requirements include an ability to clear a criminal background check and obtain required medical clearances. We will also check professional (or academic) references and verify recent employment. You will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the US (we use e-Verify to process work authorization documents.)
Physical activity requirements include an ability to physically respond to people with special needs, an ability to lift/support at least 40 lbs as needed, an ability to walk, sit, stand, stoop, and bend frequently.
For more information about programs, please visit our Adult Services page.
Abilitypath is committed to providing immersive, rewarding experiences for our interns, and to provide training, mentorship and professional development opportunities related to direct care.
- Non-profit program operations
- Case management
- Behavioral management, goal setting, and support plan development
- Social work insights
Enhanced Intern Experience:
- Executive mentorship
- Professional networking opportunities
- Information sessions
- Letters of recommendation
- After-work socials